Monday 21 April 2014

How to protect the content of your blog from being copied

Writing Shed


Hi everyone!
I hope you are well and that you all had a lovely Easter!

As you can see, The Potter's Shed has changed its "face"!! I thought that theme was a tad "tired", so I went on to find something more "sheddy". Also, when I asked Hubby what he thought of the new one he said he preferred it to the old one, which "looked a bit like a bedroom wallpaper"... He is well paid to always tell the truth... haha.

I've given Carolina (Loveandpizza.it) the day off and decided to write a post to help us bloggers. I'm always very curious about how things work. I'm always experimenting with my blog and love to find out new things. If I want something that my blogger (or Blogger) doesn't have, I'll Google it. I've even adventured myself in the "world of HTML code". Yeah, that huge amount of words in our blogs' templates.

About a month ago, I was reading one of my friend's blog (it's in Portuguese, but it's so cute and so worth it, I'd try to find a way to translate the pages!) in which she mentions being a bit upset about people sharing photos of her art on Facebook. This friend was a guest blogger here, and her post was amazing! Check it out here.

I very often use my own photos on this blog, photos taken on holidays, in my garden, etc. Also, I'm a bit paranoid about people "stealing" my writing. Because of that I decided to look for something that I could do with my blog to prevent people from copying my photos, texts, etc.

It's simple, simple. I'll try to give you a step by step guide. 


1) Go to your blog Dashboard. On the left menu, click on Layout.

Writing shed

2) Click Add a Gadget (it doesn't matter where you put if after, it's not going to show. I'd suggest you place it at the top or at the bottom, so you don't have a blank space in the middle of the other ones)

Writing shed

3) Add an HTML/JavaScript gadget.

Writing shed

4) Copy and paste this code and click Save.

Writing shed



 You're protected! This will disable right click on your whole blog! :)

What did you think of this post? Did it help? Is there anything else you would like to know about your blogger? Perhaps I could help...

Ah, now I remembered... You won't be able to copy and past the code... If you want it, leave a comment and I'll message it to you! 

Happy blogging!



11 comments:

  1. This only protects you from right clickers. It is still super easy to copy by highlighting text then using ctrl/cmd c. I would highly doubt that there's a single thief out there who doesn't know about that by now. Also if they want to steal your pics they'll just screen shot it. There really isn't much you can do to protect yourself you just have to know that anything you publish publicly has the potential to be stolen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least we can make it a tiny bit harder for them to do it, right? ;)

      Dani

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed that you know about this, and thank you so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe Hi Amy, It's not the most effective thing in the world, but at least it will make it harder for people to copy our content! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A scary reminder - makes all of us wonder how much victims of this type of theft we all have been (I've been blogging for four years). I once read about a way to see if your photos were stolen and used online - is there a way to find out if your blog posts have been stolen? Alana visiting from UBC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alana. Thanks for your comment. I totally agree with you. As for finding out if your blog posts have been stolen, take a look at this page:
      http://blog.kissmetrics.com/find-remove-stolen-content/

      Hope it helps.
      Dani.

      Delete
  5. I agree with "Anonymous" up there that you can't protect your blog from someone who really wants to steal pieces of it. However, I also agree with you, Daniela, that we definitely need to make it as difficult as possible, especially personal photos.

    Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, as I said.. at least let's make it harder for them to steal from us.. :)
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Dani

      Delete
  6. Good post and certainly worth the effort to try to protect our content and pictures. Some effort is better than no effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!!
      Thanks for your post, Shirley. :)

      Dani

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this piece!
    I will add that if you want to find out if someone copied your online content i recommend a free website called Copyleaks - www.copyleaks.com

    ReplyDelete