Monday 14 October 2013

Neighbours... A street like no other



The Potter's Shed  "A street like no other" (original title: "Uma rua como aquela", byLucilia Junqueira de Almeida Prado).  This book talks about the daily life of people living in a cul-de-sac in a Sao Paulo neighbourhood, in Brazil. There were children and teenagers, whose parents were pilots and engineers and housewives. There were three old ladies, sisters, living opposite a field where they used to play football. And there was the old man, who seemed to be Uncle Scrooge himself, who lived in a "castle" squeezed between the field and the orchard.

There was friendship, arguments, crushes, family problems, parties, a lot of mischief, and a lot of solidarity.

Set in 1969, this book symbolised my childhood and teenage years... I grew up in a street like that... It wasn't a cul-de-sac, but it was a quiet street. We were about 20 children who would together play ball, hide and seek, tag, who would dance to slow music and discover love and jealousy and get grounded by our parents every now and then. It was like there was no worry in the world!!!

Having grown up and moved abroad, I am still friends with most of those people, or at least keep in touch on Facebook and stuff (God bless the Internet), but becoming an adult and living in a different country (with a different culture) got me thinking about friendships and how much easier it was for us back then (in the 70s, 80s, 90s...).

I had my best friend in the street and we used to visit each other (visit is too formal a word here, we would just show up and ring the bell, really) all the time. We used to spend hours on the phone, minutes after saying goodbye to each other... We would talk about boys, make plans, go to the cinema, lie to our parents together, just so we would go to that party or stay a bit later in each other's houses. 

I live in a great place now (a cul-de sac of my own!!!) and seem to have nice neighbours. I am in a dilemma though... I don't remember how to make friends like before... =/   How much can you trust? Is there any nosy neighbour? Any gossip? Should I invite them for a coffee? Should I accept that invite for dinner? 

Ah, I wish things were much simpler, like in those years... Actually, I wish I could have all my neighbours back! All living in "my cul-de-sac"!  Doors would be always unlocked, kettle would be always on, smell of coffee all over the house... 

To my childhood/teenage years friends... Giuliano, Lucio, Fabiana, Fernanda, Netto, Otavio, Tatiana, Marcelo, Marconi, Felicio, Cristina, Fabiano, Fred, Cecilia, Vinicius, Tayssir, Daher, Hayssan, Jandra, Marilia, Thais, Simone, Carol, Isabela, Agnez, Beto... and of course my sisters, Isa e Xu... without you, life wouldn't have been so fun! =)Miss you all sooooo much!!!

Dani.





0 comments:

Post a Comment